Tuesday 27 January 2015

Keith Urban And Nicole Kidman: From Awkward First Encounter To Enduring Bond Of Two ‘Open’ Hearts

When the magic hour approached during year-end concert of Keith Urban in Canada, the country superstar once again demonstrated his unwavering love for his wife of Oscar winner Nicole Kidman. He invited acclaimed actress on stage and - in front of 60,000 fans - planted a passionate kiss on the lips when the clock struck midnight. Kidman had grabbed her husband's face as he leaned down to kiss her.



The singer and actress loving embrace of Niagara Falls was the latest in a continuing series of PDAs - public displays of affection - for the power couple. Although their first meeting Inconvenient Truth seem to have no romantic possibilities and although Kidman had to help country star conquer his addiction to cocaine just a few months after their wedding, their marriage has become one union enviable solid rock.

While a guest on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in 2010, Urban bit rocky program recalled his first encounter with Kidman in January 2005.


Looking back, Keith admitted he was a little intimidated when he met Kidman. They were in an event called "G'Day L. A." in Los Angeles, where both were being honest when he saw her backstage. "I swear, she slid across the room, floating," Keith says. "I do not know how. It's like she's standing there, and she did not walk. I was out of this world."

When Keith saw the actress standing alone for a moment, he gathered enough courage to say hello. "I steeled myself to go and do it, very nervous, and trying to be all good," he says. "[I] introduced myself and she was very nice and all, and there was that time waiting for the next thing to say what I did not know if I was bothering her or what was happening, so I just kind of said, "Well, nice to meet you, 'and I just walked away."

Later, a friend convinced Keith to try to talk to her again. "I came back and apologized, and we started talking and actually clicks," said Keith.

And click they did. June 25, 2006 they were married in Australia and immediately settled in Nashville, Tenn., where later they became parents of daughters Sunday Rose and Faith Margaret. Kidman has also adopted children Isabella and Connor with ex-husband Tom Cruise.

A few months after the wedding, Urban Winfrey that faced a decision. An addiction to alcohol and drugs - especially cocaine - had taken over his life. "I had to make a decision that the road would take, once and for all," says Keith. "I had been at that crossroads before and always take the wrong path."

"What was different this time?" Winfrey asked.

"Love" Keith admitted.


At that time, Keith says he knew that if he did not give up and commit to overcome his addiction, he repeat the mistakes of the past. "[I thought], 'So maybe if I really want to be brave and adventurous, take the road less traveled this time,'" he says. "It was a huge hole in my life that was to be completed by the end right, or always going to be filled by the wrong thing."

Reality hit home when Kidman and some close friends staged in the intervention of Keith. "It was really a profound moment in many ways. So how Nic handled that timing was perfect," says Keith. "Everything was designed, I think, for that moment we merge."

At first, Keith says he questioned whether he should go to rehab as soon after marriage. "[I thought], 'Surely we will give you a couple of years, so we have a little strength, as this sort of thing could tear us'," says Keith. “‘This could just destroy us.'"

Ultimately, he decided it was time to seek help. Keith left the same night of the intervention for treatment. "I just told him, 'I do not want to do anything but go,'" he says. "I do not care anymore."

While in treatment, Keith issues, which he contributed to his use of alcohol and drugs were discussed. What had been missing? "A sense of being centered and connected to something bigger than me," he says. "You can call it whatever you want, God. There are a million names for him. But, ultimately, for me, is love. That's what ... I was missing in my life. The love for myself. "

Amar himself, he realized, would also help you to love others.”If I have not, I cannot give it away," says Keith. "Now I look back and realize Nic has taught me so much and brought so much to my life and opened my eyes in many ways."

At the beginning of his relationship with Kidman, Keith says he went to a park. While you are sitting on a bench, says he asked, "How's your heart?"

"I do not know why I asked that question," says Keith. "I've never asked anyone before me. I do not know what answer I was expecting."

She replied: "It is open".

"It was not only beautiful because said much about it, but instantly made me wonder: '?? That's mine is my heart open,'" says Keith. "'Or is that 80 percent open, but have some exit strategy? If I do, then why is that?'"

As anyone who has loved and lost know, once you've had your heart broken, is hard to love again. For this reason, Keith says he was scared.

"I looked back and realized that I stayed in this model because I was not really love," he says. "I had not met the right person. I was not the right person, but I really was not completely me. I was holding back because I was afraid."

Clearly, Urban became "the right person" and it is equally clear that he has "met the right person" Kidman. And another thing is also patently clear - Kiss and other PDAs will remain a part of your link two "open" hearts. That's what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment